Thursday, August 21, 2008

Monitoring Sites With a Hawkeye

Lily Tikijian
August 14, 2008
Literature Period 6
Mrs. Pfanschmidt

Monitoring Sites With a Hawkeye

As I first glanced at the article, I had no idea it would be about MySpace or Facebook or any social network for that matter. I thought it was going to be another one of those boring reading assignments that has nothing what so ever to do with me. But after reading it, it has a lot to do with me. I don’t mean to be addicted to sites like Facebook, but I am. Like almost every other teenage, it started off as just another way to talk to friends and keep up on what is going with people’s lives. I soon found myself spending more and more time on Facebook. It has become like an addiction that I can’t get rid of. Everyday when I get home, I grab a snack and run up to my room to see if I have any new notifications or alerts. Every time I open up my laptop, I have to check my profile or see who is online. I just can’t seem to be able to help it.
Even though I think people have the right to privacy, I think that athletic departments should have people monitoring sites like Facebook. If one of their athletes is, for example, a crazy party person who stays out until 2am drinking, then post pictures on Facebook, I think the team has the right to suspend or kick that person off. Facebook isn’t a private website either, its not like no one would find that out anyway. People might not tell the coach or athletic department it though. That’s why I think it is a good reason to have people monitoring people’s profiles.
I think this rule affects me because I am one of those people who is addicted to Facebook. But, I don’t think people monitoring my profile will have an impact on me because I don’t put wild crazy pictures up or my status won’t ever say something like, out partying and drinking. That will never be me. So I do think people have the right to monitor social networks. Even though most consider it a violation of personal rights, I don’t. I hope this will never affect me anyway and I think it is a very good thing.

1 comment:

brookiexx said...

LILLLY THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN, YOU ARE SO INSPIRATIONAL. HAHA jkk i just made all that up bc you told me to write thattt (;