Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Solider (Chapter 10)

Lily Tikijian
October 14, 2008
Literature Period 6
Mrs. Pfanschmidt

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Solider
Chapter 10

Even though we only had to read one chapter tonight, it seemed like we had to read thirty chapters. This chapter went by so slowly for me. In a way, things seem to be more and more repetitive as we read. Ishmael keeps telling us about the villages they stop in and about how he doesn’t want to think because his thoughts scare him. I completely understand that he is scared to think about his thoughts but it’s just a little to repetitive. One of the most descriptive passages that I have read in this book so far is when Ishmael says, “In some way my journey was like that of the moon- although I had even more thick clouds coming my way to make my spirit dull.” Ishmael is starting to realize that the way is affecting him and he knows there are more bad things coming his way. I think he is mentally preparing himself for more heartache and despair. The most gut-wrenching part of this chapter is when Saidu says, “Even though I am still alive, I feel like each time I accept death, part of me dies.” This is so shocking because it is foreshadowing. Later in this chapter, Saidu does pass away. I don’t think we even find out why. I think he just saw so many terrible things and was so scared that he lost the will to live. From what Saidu was telling us about his family and how he had to watch his sisters get rapped over and over again from the attic, I think if I had been him I would have wanted to die. I had to put down the book because I couldn’t imagine watching my sister getting rapped. I couldn’t deal with that. That part just struck me. All the boys are still losing their innocent side. When Alhaji wants to kill the dog, this proves that he is turning into a killer. When Saidu is buried, Ishmael says he couldn’t believe that he was gone. He says, “Who will be the next to leave us? The question was in our eyes when we looked at each other. We walked fast as if trying to stay in the daytime, afraid that nightfall would turn over the uncertain pages of our lives.” I would be so afraid to make connections with these boys if I were Ishmael because he knows that they are probably going to die or leave. I don’t think I could deal with losing one of them, especially since they are now his family. Its just un-imaginable.

1 comment:

Cam the Man! said...

I agree with you completely about the rapped part. I couldn't imagine going through that. It struck me deeply because i have a sister so it kind of hit home for me.